Frequently Asked Questions
Below are the Frequently Asked Questions. Read more about us on the previous page, or contact us if you have any more questions.
Is SVN a Christian organisation?
• SVN was started by Christians in response to a challenge from God.
• It accepts volunteers from any Christian background.
• We will respond to those of all faiths and none who request help that we might be able to give.
Where has SVN worked?
• SVN has worked in over thirty countries. Recent projects have included India, Africa, Thailand and Iraq.
How is SVN funded?
• SVN is funded by individuals, volunteers and churches, with some grants from other charitable agencies.
• Volunteers undertaking projects pay their own airfares, and may need to contribute towards living costs. All volunteers may apply to our Bursary Fund for assistance.
Does SVN only do educational work?
• Our work is almost entirely educational.
• SVN’s distinctive contribution is to make available the experience and skills gained by teachers during their years of service. We will try to respond to any request that calls for such experience and skill.
What kind of things do volunteers do?
Does it mean travelling overseas?
• Most of our requests come from overseas.
• There are occasional projects within the UK.
Would I go alone?
• We usually work in small teams of two to ten volunteers, with a team leader who has probably worked in that part of the world before.
• You would only go alone if you and SVN were entirely happy about it.
What does it cost to go on an overseas assignment?
• The cost can vary considerably depending on project location and local circumstances.
• Volunteers pay their own air fares. Some or all of local expenses may be provided by the hosts.
• A Bursary Fund exists to help those who need it.
• Your local church or Christian community may help you raise funds.
What support is given to volunteers who go overseas?
• We have a handbook which covers most of the issues involved in travelling to and carrying out an overseas project.
• SVN volunteers have a wealth of experience of overseas work which is at your disposal.
• We pray for God’s hand to be on our teams whilst they are away.
How much time will I be expected to give to SVN?
• That is entirely within your control.
• Overseas projects normally range from one week to five weeks.
What am I committing myself to if I join SVN?
• We would value your financial or prayer support alone, but if you are willing to do more we simply ask you to prayerfully consider the projects listed under Opportunities and respond if you feel called to do so.
How do I join?
• Go to our Contact page for details.